CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pronouns! [26 January 2011]


"What the meaning of PRONOUNS? I never heard about these but please , don't blame me k haha"



Hello!
Now , I want to share about PRONOUNS. Before this , have you heard about PRONOUNS ?! Let's me start with the 'Definition Of Pronouns'. Let's check it out!


Definition Of Pronouns
Alright.....If you don't know what the meaning of pronouns , don't worry , I can tell you about that. I was create a simple definition of pronouns. You can use it and maybe , you can remember until your final examination and of course you can answer all those question easier haha [Nonsense] OK. Let's start now.

Pronouns always take the place of NOUNS and we can instead NOUNS with a PRONOUNS. I , You , We , They , Him , She and another else are example for PRONOUNS. PRONOUNS are very important for us. If we doesn't use any pronouns , we always repeat the same word in a one sentences. OK. Let's look for these sentences :

Mary is very beautiful. Mary always change a lot of boyfriend every week. I don't like Mary!

You all see of this sentences? It is used the same word of Mary. We can take the place Mary to the Pronouns word.


Mary is very beautiful. She always change a lot of boyfriends every week. 
I don't like her!


See?? It's looks more better right?? Looks simplier and shorter =)


Now, we go to the next topic of PRONOUNS. 'The Type Of Pronouns'






The Type Of Pronouns

Pronouns were divided into 7 categories. Wow! They are :
(1) Personal
(2) Demonstrative
(3) Posessive
(4) Interrogative
(5) Reflexive
(6) Indefinite
(7) Relative

O.K. Let's we look one by one =)



PERSONAL PRONOUNS

This pronouns represent to specific people / thing. We can use depends on this table :
Number
Person
Gender
Personal Pronouns
Subject
Object
Singular
1st
Male/Female
I
me
2nd
Male/Female
you
you
3rd
Male
he
him
Female
she
her
Neuter
it
it
Plural
1st
Male/Female
we
us
2nd
Male/Female
you
you
3rd
Male/Female/Neuter
they
them



Example :
Number
Person
Gender
Personal Pronouns
Subject
Object
Singular
1st
Male/Female
I like coffee.
John helped me.
2nd
Male/Female
Do you like coffee?
John loves you.
3rd
Male
He runs fast.
Did Ram beat him?
Female
She is clever.
Does Mary know her?
Neuter
It doesn't work.
Can the engineer repair it?
Plural
1st
Male/Female
We went home.
Anthony drove us.
2nd
Male/Female
Do you need a table for three?
Did John and Mary beat you at doubles?
3rd
Male/Female/Neuter
They played doubles.
John and Mary beat them.


Additional Notes

he/him 
or 
she/her
Also can use for animal/pet/ship/vessel/vehicle.
*This is our dog Rusty. He's an Alsation.

*My first car was a Mini and I treated her like my wife.
it
Can use for introduce a remark.
*It is nice to have a holiday sometimes.

*Is it normal to see them together?

*It's difficult to find a job.
Can talk about the weather, temperature, time and distance
*It's raining.
*It will probably be hot tomorrow.
*Is it nine o'clock yet?
*It's 50 kilometres from here to Cambridge.





DEMONSTRATIVE PRONOUNS

The original word of demonstrative is DEMONSTRATE (verb) that's means to show , to indicate , to point to.


NEAR
FAR
SINGULAR
this
that
PLURAL
these
those



Example:


NEAR
FAR
SINGULAR
*This tastes good.
*Have you seen this?

*That is beautiful.
*Look at that!

PLURAL
*These are bad times.
*Do you like these?

*Those were the days!
*Can you see those?


NEAR
FAR
SINGULAR


*This is heavier than that.
PLURAL
*These are bigger than those.





POSESSIVE PRONOUNS

We use posessive pronouns to refer to specific person/People, thing/Things, animals.
Number
Person
Gender(of "owner")
Possessive Pronouns
Singular
1st
Male/Female
mine
2nd
Male/Female
yours
3rd
Male
his
Female
hers
Plural
1st
Male/Female
ours
2nd
Male/Female
yours
3rd
Male/Female/Neuter
theirs




INTERROGATIVE PRONOUNS

We always use to ask questions. It is represents the thing that we don't know. Four main interrogative pronouns :
(1) who
(2) whom
(3) what
(4) which


SUBJECT
OBJECT

Person
Who
Whom

Thing
What

Person/Thing
Which

Person
Whose
(Posessive)
Example:
QUESTION
ANSWER

Who told you?
John told me.
subject
Whom did you tell?
I told Mary.
object
What's happened?
An accident's happened.
subject
What do you want?
I want coffee.
object
Which came first?
The Porsche 911 came first.
subject
Which will the doctor see first?
The doctor will see the patient in bluefirst.
object
There's one car missing. Whose hasn't arrived?
John's (car) hasn't arrived.
subject
We've found everyone's keys. Whose did you find?
I found John's (keys).
object

Additional Notes





REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS

This pronoun is use to refer back to the subject / clause. REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS will end with "-self" (Singular) and "-selves" (Plural).
NUMBER
REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS
SINGULAR
myself
yourself
himself
, herself, itself
PLURAL
ourselves
yourselves
themselves

Examples:
REFLEXIVE PRONOUN
I saw myself in the mirror.
Why do you blame yourself?
John sent himself a copy.
Mary sent herself a copy.
My dog hurt itself.
We blame ourselves.
Can you help yourselves?
They cannot look after themselves.




INDEFINITE PRONOUNS

Pronoun
Meaning
Example
SINGULAR
another
an additional or different person or thing
That ice-cream was good. Can I have another?
anybody/anyone
no matter what person
Can anyone answer this question?
anything
no matter what thing
The doctor needs to know if you have eaten anything in the last two hours.
each
every one of two or more people or things, seen separately
Each has his own thoughts.
either
one or the other of two people or things
Do you want tea or coffee? / I don't mind. Either is good for me.
enough
as much or as many as needed
Enough is enough.
everybody/everyone
all people
We can start the meeting because everybody has arrived.
everything
all things
They have no house or possessions. They lost everything in the earthquake.
less
a smaller amount
"Less is more" (Mies van der Rohe)
little
a small amount
Little is know about his early life.
much
a large amount
Much has happend since we met.
neither
not one and not the other of two people or things
I keep telling Jack and Jill but neitherbelieves me.
nobody/no-one
no person
I phoned many times but nobodyanswered.
nothing
no single thing, not anything
If you don't know the answer it's best to say nothing.
one
an unidentified person
Can one smoke here? | All the students arrived but now one is missing.
other
a different person or thing from one already mentioned
One was tall and the other was short.
somebody/someone
an unspecified or unknown person
Clearly somebody murdered him. It was not suicide.
something
an unspecified or unknown thing
Listen! I just heard something! What could it be?
you
an unidentified person (informal)
And you can see why.
PLURAL
both
two people or things, seen together
John likes coffee but not tea. I thinkboth are good.
few
a small number of people or things
Few have ever disobeyed him and lived.
fewer
a reduced number of people or things
Fewer are smoking these days.
many
a large number of people or things
Many have come already.
others
other people; not us
I'm sure that others have tried before us.
several
more than two but not many
They all complained and several left the meeting.
they
people in general (informal)
They say that vegetables are good for you.
SINGULAR OR PLURAL
all
the whole quantity of something or of some things or people
All is forgiven.
All
 
have arrived.
any
no matter how much or how many
Is any left?
Are
 any 
coming?
more
a greater quantity of something; a greater number of people or things
There is more over there.
More
 
are coming.
most
the majority; nearly all
Most is lost.
Most
 
have refused.
none
not any; no person or persons
They fixed the water so why is nonecoming out of the tap?
I invited five friends but
 none 
have come.*
some
an unspecified quantity of something; an unspecified number of people or things
Here is some.
Some
 
have arrived.
such
of the type already mentioned
He was a foreigner and he felt that he was treated as such.




RELATIVE PRONOUNS

This pronoun is related to introduce a relative clause. It is called 'relative' because this pronoun always 'relates' to word that it modified. Let's we look one example about relative pronouns:

The person who called me last night is my girlfriend.

"who" is related to person which is modified which is introduce a relative clause "who called me last night"

There are 5 main of relative pronouns:
(1) who
(2) whom
(3) which
(4) whose
(5) that

In other that , relative pronouns can refer to singular/plural and there's no difference between male/female.

Look at these examples showing defining and non-defining relative clauses:

Example Sentences
S= Subject
O= Object
P= Possessive
Notes
Defining
S
* The person who phoned me last night is my teacher.

* The person that phoned me last night is my teacher.
That is preferable
*The car which hit me was yellow.

*The cars that hit me were yellow.
That is preferable
O
*The person whom I phoned last night is my teacher.

* The people who I phoned last night are my teachers.

* The person that I phoned last night is my teacher.

* The person I phoned last night is my teacher.
Whom is correct but very formal. The relative pronoun is optional.
* The car which I drive is old.

* The car that I drive is old.

* The car I drive is old.
That is preferable to which. The relative pronoun is optional.
P
* The student whose phone just rang should stand up.

* Students whose parents are wealthy pay extra.

* The police are looking for the car whose driver was masked.
* The police are looking for the car
 of which the driver was masked.
Of which is usual for things, butwhose is sometimes possible
Non-Defining
S
* Mrs Pratt, who is very kind, is my teacher.

* The car, which was a taxi, exploded.

* The cars, which were taxis, exploded.

O
* Mrs Pratt, whom I like very much, is my teacher.

* Mr and Mrs Pratt, who I like very much, are my teachers.
Whom is correct but very formal.Who is normal.
* The car, which I was driving at the time, suddenly caught fire.

P
* My brother, whose phone you just heard, is a doctor.

* The car, whose driver jumped out just before the accident, was completely destroyed.
* The car, the driver
 of which jumped out just before the accident, was completely destroyed.
Of which is usual for things, butwhose is sometimes possible


OK. That's all for today. I hope these information can support and helped you especially for your examination. Alright , see you again for the next topic. 


Daaaa.  


























No comments:

Next Topic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...